A poison is any substance that is harmful to the body. This includes manufactured products such as drugs and cleaning solutions, but also natural herbs and other plants. Cats may lick or taste toxic objects because of their innate curiosity. This requires more attention to their behavior and action before something bad happens to our feline.
Poisoning in Cats because of using human and veterinary pills
Medications,Poisoned rodents … are a common cause of poisoning in all pets. Many people give their cats over-the-counter medications, without veterinary approval, to treat various symptoms; thinking that what works for humans works for cats, but unfortunately does not and may threaten the lives of their felines…
drugs given to cats in human doses are almost always toxic – and some human drugs cannot be given to cats in any quantity. therefore, veterinary consultation before administering any medication and following the instructions exactly regarding frequency and dosage is essential to saving our friendly cat .
so All medications should be stored safely in childproof containers and in closed cabinets, as curious cats are often attracted to pills that fall or roll away and may chase them and try to eat them.
so never assume that a human medication is safe for pets!
Poisoned rodents are another common cause of poisoning in our cat.
Sometimes our feline comes across a rat or mouse and of course doesn’t lose and runs to catch it and sometimes eats it, but sometimes things don’t go as planned and our cat is unlucky. Rat and mouse poisons include anticoagulants and hypercalcemic agents. which can be fatal if our cat ingests them and in some cases eats a rodent that has these poisons in its system.
Anticoagulant rat and mouse poisons are the most commonly used household poisons. These products are responsible for a large number of accidental poisonings in cats and dogs. Anticoagulants block the synthesis of vitamin K-dependent clotting factors, which are essential for normal blood clotting.
how to know if my cat is poisoned and what are the most common signs?
The observable signs of poisoning in cats differ according to the severity of the condition of our felines, there are signs that appear only several days after ingestion. The cat may become weak and pale from blood loss, salivation, have nosebleeds, vomit blood, have rectal bleeding, develop hematomas and bruises under the skin, or have bleeding under the gums. The cat may be found dead as a result of bleeding in the chest or abdomen.